-
November 7th, 2005, 07:40 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Hi,
I am wondering if the sound modules use the 817 cabinet?
I'm also wondering what on earth those horns are. They are huge with an opening the size of the horn in the 817's and a driver the size of a woofer.
Any insight would be good, I'm not having much luck googling.
Cal
-
November 8th, 2005, 12:03 AM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
-
November 8th, 2005, 01:07 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
A view of ALTEC LANSING STADIUM SET UPS IN THE 70's. This has nothing to do with the BC STADIUM wich was revamped in 1996.

.....
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ October 27, 2007 03:54 PM: Message edited by: CONVERGENCE ]</font>
-
November 8th, 2005, 11:28 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Look at all those purty alnico 288's.
-
November 9th, 2005, 03:54 AM
#5
Inactive Member
I wonder what the motor is for. Cooling fan?
-
November 9th, 2005, 05:11 AM
#6
Inactive Member
It is used to raise and lower the rig.
Originally posted by Brek:
I wonder what the motor is for. Cooling fan?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
-
November 9th, 2005, 07:32 PM
#7
HB Forum Owner
The Electro-Voice HP4020 and HP6040 and HP9040 horns had lousy directivity comapred to the Altec MANTARAY horns with the same published directivity patterns.
The MANTARAY horns actually DID have the pattern control that the EV's claimed to...and more!
-
November 10th, 2005, 07:36 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Yes,
I agree Altec specs are superior and they have more experience in this type of horn than anny other company. Being absent from the market leaves
the door open for competition. The EV horn has a throw of 300 ft same as the Meyer dome displayed below with a total weight of 300 lbs.

........
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ October 27, 2007 04:03 PM: Message edited by: CONVERGENCE ]</font>
-
November 18th, 2005, 10:35 AM
#9
Inactive Member
The old days of Western Sound. That system wasn't ever engineered right in the first place and a lot of people made a big buck hanging speakers where they looked good but sounded like **** . I know I was there durring construction . The sound in BC Place still is the worst of any stadium I've been in Canada,,by far. GM Place on the other hand was done better and used Bose drivers with special boxes and bass tubes to get better sound. I still think both are a modern day screw up and someone made off with a big buck and left the stadiums with **** for sound systems for sure. But,,as bad as they were they were miles ahead of the King Dome in Seattle,Wa. Maybe they should just give everyone headphones as the enter the stadiums ???,,,,,,,,,,,Ron
-
November 18th, 2005, 09:06 PM
#10
HB Forum Owner
When I did Razorback Stadium at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, I used 817's with 515-8GHP's and Mantaray's with 290's.
The original system had 210's with 203B's and 290D's.
Powered by 1950E's, the sound was INCREDIBLE! You could CLEARLY hear AND understand every word in EVERY seat, even when the crowd was really loud (and Razorback fans are REALLY loud!).
When they added the upper deck, I tried to get them to let me add to the score-board-mounted cluster, but they weren't willing to spend the money.
When the scoreboard was replaced years later, a friend of mine's company took the speakers down, rebuilt them, and re-assembled them in a VERY small chamber provided at the top of the new scoreboard. It sounds "ok", but not as good - the cluster had to be spread out horizontally, rather than stacked vertically like I had them, and it just didn't work as well.
It's my understanding that the Altec's have been replaced with "gee-whiz" stuff that works poorly...
That said, a centralized system for a large venue is difficult to design and install, and you HAVE to have hi-q devices, something none of the current manufacturers offer (even though they claim they can "throw" sound 300', that doesn't mean it arrives there at a level that's high enough and articulate enough to be heard and understood by the noisy crowd).
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks